If you want to study English in the UK for more than 11 months you need a Student visa.Are you an EU/EEA/Swiss national?
From 2021, you need a visa to study for more than 6 months. If you arrived in 2020 and want to study and work in the UK after June 2021, you can do so by applying for pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
Key facts about Student visas:
• Your course must include at least 15 hours of study per week
• You must already have an intermediate level of English - you will need to prove your English level by taking a Secure English language Test (IELTS or Trinity College London) at a government-approved testing centre
• You must have an unconditional course offer to study at an institution that has a Student sponsor licence
• For your visa application, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number from your institution
• In your application you will need to show that you have enough money to pay for your course fees, accommodation and living costs (find out more about providing evidence)
• Some students studying English language courses with a Student visa are able to work for 10 hours per week
• Application cost: £348, plus the immigration health surcharge
for visas that are longer than six months. The cost depends on the length of the visa, starting at £470.
• When to apply: up to six months in advance